Tuesday, January 4, 2011

umm... gluten free

this could possibly be the only time i will write about gluten free. but there's also a chance that my life will become consumed by it. time will tell. over a week ago my dearly beloved husband chose to try going gluten free in hopes of ridding himself of this skin irritation he's had for a long long time. it's brought him to the point of misery, and seeing him suffer, i am as eager as he is to figure out the cure. so 4 days ago the new eating style 2 week test run began. by day 2 at dinner time i was frustrated, maybe even crying. and then a good friend gave me some coaching, giving me a lot more confidence.
tonight we are having one of our family favorites, white chicken chili, which happens to be, you guessed it, gluten free!! i've made this recipe at least 15 times in the last 2 months, for company, for new moms, for us (almost weekly). i've made so many alterations to the original recipe that i decided to call this one my own. here it is:

white chicken chili
3 cups cooked and diced chicken breast
1/2 cup onion finely chopped
2 cans great northern beans, rinsed and drained (i've also used black, which was DE-licious, but kinda takes away from the "white chili" name. i guess you could call it "black and white chili", but that doesn't sound as appetizing)
2 cans chicken broth
1 can (7 oz) chopped green chilis
1 cup frozen corn *optional
2 tbsp corn starch
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic salt or regular salt
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup half & half
shredded cheese for topping

i cook the chicken, set it aside and let it cool, then cube it. in the same pan, i cook the onion until tender, then add 1 can of broth mixed with the corn starch to make a "gravy". in the crockpot goes the chicken, gravy, other can of broth, beans, chili, and seasonings. i cook this on low for 3-5 hours. just before serving i add the corn, sour cream, and half&half and make sure it's heated through before serving. yum! i top mine with shredded cheese and tortilla chips.

anyone who tries a lower fat version of this, let me know how it is.

and since no post is complete without a picture (right mom?), here is a picture i took today. it could have been kate or jacob, but whoever it was, it made me laugh.

2 comments:

Lee and Candace said...

I was going to post a recipe I just tried and turned out yum, but didn't. Now if I do it I'm going to look like I'm coping you!:) Maybe I'll wait until I perfect it! The chili really is delicious and you make it so well! And really who would want to make a low-fat version??

Amy said...

I'm going to try this recipe this week! I'm excited. How did your kids like it? Mine don't usually do very well with soups.