Sunday, December 20, 2009
Thursday, December 17, 2009
Monday, December 7, 2009
- he under-estimates the power of scissors. this morning we woke up to a dusting of snow, which highly excited us. so for something fun to do, jacob and i made paper snowflakes. and for a few brief moments i let him do the cutting. and then he cut the snowflake in half. it was short-lived, but we ended up with a few pretty snowflakes, one for each member of the family. (jackson included)
- in some clothes, he is wearing a 5T in shirts, but still a bit baggy in the 3T pants. long torso, tiny waste. what's a boy to do?
- he can sing "pa-rump-pa-pum-pum" pretty well for a 2 year old. i didn't even think he heard the song playing in the background this morning as we played. but he must have, because he was singing "the little drummer boy" to himself after lunch. cuteness!
- and while we're on the subject of singing, his new favorite song is "baby, it's cold outside". like mother, like son. it's sooo cute to hear him singing it.
- another thing, just like his mother, he likes to eat chicken hearts. i roasted a chicken yesterday for dinner, and for some reason, this chicken had 4 or 5 hearts in the package of innards. (liking them myself, when i discovered this i was like "bonus!". for those of you that like them too, you know what i mean, right?) i usually roast them in the pan right along with the bird, for a little added flavor. jacob saw them in the pan and asked to have a bite. after trying one, he ended up asking for and eating 2 more. that's my boy.
- he loves loves loves tractors. ok, i know, that's old news. but he still manages to change every conversation and educational experience to the subject of tractors.
i love you, jacob.
Saturday, December 5, 2009
Thursday, November 26, 2009
we are so thankful for so many things: our children, our health, our friends, our family, our home, our jobs, a working car, food on the table, and mostly our Savior who sent his only Son to die for us.
psalm 92: 1-2
"it is good to give thanks to the Lord,
and to sing praises to Your name, O Most High;
to declare Your lovingkindness in the morning,
and Your faithfulness every night."
thank you to the Nordine's who opened their thanksgiving table to us. what a tasty feast!!
Wednesday, November 25, 2009
it took us a moment, but we soon realized that jacob is a little more observant than we give him credit for. here is a photo of our brand new local library...
and the little town of Bethlehem in jacob's book...
so while we're comparing things, i can't help but think how much jacob resembles Curious George every time we watch the movie. and i found this photo to do a little comparison to a picture i took of jacob this morning. ancestors? surely not.
Monday, November 23, 2009
jacob's on the verge of potty training. he does #1 on the potty about 3 times a day, yet still manages to fill his diapers with liquid in between. this child drinks ALL THE DAY LONG! he still doesn't seem interested in #2 on the potty, even though he has done it successfully once or twice. one thing is for sure- he certainly likes the undressing part of going potty. i find him several times a day in his birthday suit (for him everything needs to come off in order to go to the bathroom- pants, shirt, socks- everything). ahhhh...the joys of toddlerhood.
kate's been practicing her newly developed walking skills. she is now walking about 80% of the time, and only crawls when she is too fussy to walk. (i guess she gets lazy?)
Friday, November 13, 2009
Sunday, November 8, 2009
aunt brianne and uncle kevin spent the weekend with us. we wnjoyed having them visit and i think they had a good time playing with the kids. i know jacob is now very fond of his uncle kevin. :)
we took advantage of the unseasonably warm weather and had a fire on friday night. played outside, went shopping, watched the penn state game, and ate some great food on saturday. and said goodbye to them after lunch today.
we love seeing the kids interact with family- just wished we lived a bit closer to pittsburgh so we could see them more often.
Saturday, October 31, 2009
Wednesday, October 28, 2009
so when i get to feeling nostalgic like this, i start thinking "so what was i doing a year ago today? 5 years ago today? or even worse, 10 years ago?" (ok, so i wasn't really considering the 10 year one until i started writing here...i am not that ridiculous.)
a year ago today was kate's "due date". and i use that term loosely, because we all know that no one really knows the day their baby will arrive (unless you have a scheduled c-section, of course). and i am pretty sure i was feeling really depressed on this day because i had convinced myself that kate was going to be 2 weeks early, and she had shown no signs of her pending arrival- yet. but then, on october 30, sweet little kate evelyn, just 55 minutes before i was supposed to be at the hospital to be induced, was born at 5:05 am. and that is what i was doing last year.
5 years ago, i had just quit my job at starbucks to join my friend julie, who had her own cleaning business. we cleaned, on a weekly and bi-weekly basis, about 24 homes. we loved it, and loved the paychecks too. :) little did i know that just 8 months later, jesse and i would be packing up our belongings and moving to the bluegrass state.
10 years ago, i had just graduated from high school and was 1 month into my freshman year of college at covenant college in lookout mountain, georgia. i loved the school, but wasn't liking the fact that i was in school and not knowing what i wanted to get my degree in. let's just say, the whole school thing didn't last long. :)
any of you remember what you were doing last year? 5 years ago? 10 years ago? this is a memory challenge. :)
p.s. i just have to make it public here- last night i made janelle's/kate's apple butter pork roast and it was DEEEE-LISH! thank you ladies!
Tuesday, October 27, 2009
over the last few weeks, jesse has been trying to teach jacob how everything we "own" has been given to us by God. the toys we play with, the food we eat, the clothes we wear. none of it is our's.
so every time we drive up to the house, pulling into the driveway, jacob almost always says, "this is not our's jacob's house."
thank you, my dear 2 year old, for this reminder. :)
Friday, October 23, 2009
sweet potato casserole (for jesse, jacob and kate)
Tuesday, October 20, 2009
although he doesn't turn 30 until december 31st, candace and i decided that for planning sake, we should tell our husbands in advance about the trip we have planned for them. in january, candace, lee, jesse, and i will be travelling to cozumel for a 5 day vacation- kid free!
since kate had a little cold, only jacob got to spend the evening with some friends, who kindly babysat him. and thus, kate tagged along on our date night. and had fun trying on this super cute hat we found for her at the Gap. (no we didn't buy it... i think it was a $30 hat or something ridiculous.)
Monday, October 19, 2009
- chocolate. obviously one of jacob's favorites too. he had his first OREO this weekend. and notice his shirt even has the chocolate monster on it.
- happy toddlers and kind friends. we recently received this table as a gift from a friend of our's who was thinking of kate when they saw it. don't mind that it says "princess" all over the table top and the back of the chair. pink and princess don't matter to jacob, he loves that it is his size. he asks to eat breakfast there almost every day. i am not keen on the idea of eating meals in the living room, but this week it has been a special treat for him and i love to see him when he is happy.
- new magazines. especially Fall or Holiday editions! got this new one in the mail the other day and am slowly going through it.
- frost. not the cold that comes with it, but i like how beautiful everything looks with a sparkly frost covering it. stacia- here's my "out my kitchen window".
- dancing babies. kate has been working on her dance moves. here's a video at one of her recent practice sessions.
Sunday, October 11, 2009
and while we're on the subject of things orange, can i just say, i am loving the recent victories of the cincinnati bengals! how exciting for a team who is not always been that good, and has spent years losing game after game. keep it up, team. who dey! go bengals!
(sorry to all pittsburgh friends and family, there's always next time.)
and speaking of WINNING, jesse and i are officially addicted to the mcdonalds monoply game. jesse is most convinced that the next time we go, we will be the million dollar winners. ok, maybe next time. no? ok, then definitely the time after that?!
crazy? yes. we went there 3 times this past weekend- yep, friday, saturday, and sunday. so far all we've won is a small coffee or soft drink, and i may have gained a pant size with all the french fries and sweet tea i've consumed. maybe once we win that million dollars i can hire a personal trainer and lose the weight. :)