Wednesday, October 28, 2009

happy due-date-versary to me!

kate is just 2 days away from turning 1 year old. and sappy me is feeling all nostalgic, thinking back over her first year, and thinking how time sure does FLY!

so when i get to feeling nostalgic like this, i start thinking "so what was i doing a year ago today? 5 years ago today? or even worse, 10 years ago?" (ok, so i wasn't really considering the 10 year one until i started writing here...i am not that ridiculous.)

a year ago today was kate's "due date". and i use that term loosely, because we all know that no one really knows the day their baby will arrive (unless you have a scheduled c-section, of course). and i am pretty sure i was feeling really depressed on this day because i had convinced myself that kate was going to be 2 weeks early, and she had shown no signs of her pending arrival- yet. but then, on october 30, sweet little kate evelyn, just 55 minutes before i was supposed to be at the hospital to be induced, was born at 5:05 am. and that is what i was doing last year.

5 years ago, i had just quit my job at starbucks to join my friend julie, who had her own cleaning business. we cleaned, on a weekly and bi-weekly basis, about 24 homes. we loved it, and loved the paychecks too. :) little did i know that just 8 months later, jesse and i would be packing up our belongings and moving to the bluegrass state.

10 years ago, i had just graduated from high school and was 1 month into my freshman year of college at covenant college in lookout mountain, georgia. i loved the school, but wasn't liking the fact that i was in school and not knowing what i wanted to get my degree in. let's just say, the whole school thing didn't last long. :)

any of you remember what you were doing last year? 5 years ago? 10 years ago? this is a memory challenge. :)

p.s. i just have to make it public here- last night i made janelle's/kate's apple butter pork roast and it was DEEEE-LISH! thank you ladies!

9 comments:

Lee and Candace said...

5 years - a couple months married and in my second month of working at AiG.

10 years - My senior year of high school...who knows what I was doing then...oh, dating the love of my life:)

Heather said...

1 year- watching michael learn to walk.
5 years- Working at 5 Seasons, finishing my pre-engagement classes and weeks away from Nate asking me to marry him (of course at the time I didn't know I was weeks away)
10 years- Senior in high school, wasting time dating stupid silly boys. :)

Lauren Bryson said...

Can't believe Kate is already almost one! I remember taking her pictures in her room when she was just a few days old.

1yr ago, i was working at the children's garden, pregnant and getting coke slurpee's every day at lunch

5 yr ago starting my fall semester at NKU, i remember taking ceramics and always getting in trouble for wearing flip flops to work the kiln. they made me wear these duck feet to protect my toes.

10yr ago Sophmore in high school, probably getting ready for the homecoming dance.

The Talberts said...

Oooh. This was fun. The first year goes so quickly, doesn't it? Happy birthday to your sweet little girl!

One year ago, I had just had Eli and remember hoping that you would have your baby before you had to be induced. :)

Five years ago I was pregnant with Jacob and worked for Ben in his office.

Ten years ago I .. let's see .. I was "finding myself". And oh so close to meeting the love of my life.

Unknown said...

1 year ago today I was filling in for Cydney who was having a baby

5 years ago today I was just accomplishing my first 2 months at AIG and my 2 months of marriage

10 years ago today I was in my senior year in high school making a quilt for my senior show at a competition!!

Karen and Mark said...

Cydney: I love your posts. Love you. Karen

Anonymous said...

Love the idea Cydney! :-)

1 year - starting on our 2nd year of marriage and trying to cope with dying my hair coppery orange!

5 years - teaching speech & debate to homeschoolers & wondering when I was going to meet a guy. :-)

10 years - going through siblings withdrawals since my brother had left for college, junior year in high school, getting ready to move from TN to IN, getting my puppy Travis.

Ashley said...

Time does fly.
1 year ago- awaiting the birth of my daughter in December
5 years ago this month, Damian and I started dating.
10 years ago- I was a few months away from getting my drivers license

What a bunch of HICKS said...

Oct 28-
1 year ago-getting over being sick and missing an outing with my roommate from college and her husband

5 yrs ago-Probably walking our almost 1 year old puppy, packing and cleaning....would be back to the bluegrass state in Nov...finally.

10 yrs ago-bailing my 1st husband out of jail after a dui (his second), needless to say...it was the beginning of the end... (but certainly now I am grateful to have moved on...)