Friday, October 23, 2009

on the topic of food

following the recent dinner blog posts of 2 fellow blogging friends, i decided to photo diary our dinner the other night.

"what are you doing?" jesse's looking at me like i am crazy, snapping photos of the food after i get it on the table. (kate and melissa- tell me your husbands are wondering the same thing :o).)
a minute later, after i don't answer him because i am trying to be as still as can be so the picture isn't blurry (you know, when you're taking a close-up and trying not to use a flash), "you're gonna blog about this, aren't you."

"maybe." :o)


well, it's not as fancy as your delicious-looking apple butter pork, kate. and it's not as well-photographed as your comforting cheesy potato soup, melissa. (and i must add, i am anxiously awaiting to try these 2 recipes out...they are on my grocery list this week!) here is my attempt to blog our dinner. :)

this here has been a staple meal for the last, oh, 6 or 7 weeks at our house. some of jesse's favorites, and i have figured out ways to prepare them quickly so i can make them on a regular basis.


tried and true, jiffy corn muffins, hydrogenanted lard and all :o)




roast chicken (which i used the leftovers to make broth after dinner, for our chicken noodle soup the next night)



green beans (yes, dripping with butter, wouldn't have it any other way)



sweet potato casserole (for jesse, jacob and kate)



and sweet potato fries (for me- i prefer them to the casserole. and since i take my green beans dripping with butter, i'll skip on the marshmallows and brown sugar that make the sweet potato casserole edible)

6 comments:

kara h said...

I mean, green beans dripping in butter are one thing, but do you not know that they're supposed to be dripping with bacon grease??? That's the way the Glenn girls do it: fry it up with a little bacon, cover and simmer until softish. Delish!

kara h said...

oh, and "more uselness knowledge" is Kara Hanks! :o)

Jessie said...

That looks so good! Almost like a Thanksgiving dinner...with chicken instead of turkey! Nice job! :)

Lee and Candace said...

Okay, so I've tried to attempt to put recipes on my blog, but I always give up after seeing Kate and Melissa's posts, cause they are just so good. I guess I have to face the facts that I'm just not a gourmet cook.:)

You're meal looks delicious! Good job on the post!!! Now I can say I can't keep up with you either:) Oh wait, I already knew that:)

Dale & Linda said...

Looks good enough to eat to me. :)

The Talberts said...

Looks good! And yes .. Ben rolls his eyes quite a bit when he hears the camera clicking in the kitchen. The worst, in his opinion, is when we are all sitting down to eat and he closes the blinds on the sliding window next to the table (because otherwise the people facing the window can't see a thing), but I halt the entire meal, insist that the blinds stay open just for a minute "because I need the light" and everyone just waits to eat while crazy Mom snaps pictures of our food. Yeah .. you can tell Jesse that he's not alone - my husband thinks I'm psycho, too. :)